Falcon Dam

Falcon Dam is the lowermost major multipurpose international dam and reservoir on the Rio Grande. Authorized by the Treaty for the Utilization of Waters of the Colorado and Tijuana Rivers and of the Rio Grande, also known as the Water Treaty of 1944, construction of the Falcon Dam spanned from 1950-53. Its dedication was held on October 19, 1953, presided over by President Adolfo Ruiz Cortines of Mexico and President Dwight D. Eisenhower of the United States. The dam’s reservoir, the Falcon International Reservoir, began to fill in 1953 and its hydroelectric power plants began producing electricity in 1954. The Falcon Dam is a 150 foot high and 26, 294 foot long earthen embankment dam made of earth-fill, concrete, and steel. Its function is to control and regulate the flow of international waters, including irrigation, domestic and flood releases, and to provide a means of contributing to the mutual welfare of Mexico and the United States. 

Results  (6  1 from 1 pages)
Inaugurado por Presa Falcon (1953)
Film documenting the inauguration ceremony of the Falcon Dam in 1953
Hydraulic Model Studies of Falcon Dam
Film providing a detailed demonstration of tests done to evaluate the performance of dam design
Frontera Mexico Norteamericana - Bajo Rio Bravo, Presa de Anzalduas, Presa Falcon (3a. Parte)
Film documenting the border dams of the Lower Rio Grande River, featuring the Falcon and Anzalduas Dams
Falcon Dam Dedication (1953)
Film documenting the inauguration ceremony of the Falcon Dam in 1953
Falcon Dam Proves Itself (1954)
Film describing a severe flood that tested the Falcon Dam one year after its construction
Eisenhower Visits Texas - DPS at the Falcon Dam Dedication, 1953
Silent footage of President Eisenhower's stay in the Rio Grande Valley