Texas Archive of the Moving Image is loading...

U.S. and Mexico Sign Treaty for Mutual Use of Rivers’ Waters (1944)

International Boundary and Water Commission

Silent | 1944

comment
  • Normal
  • Large video
  • Large content
  • Full video
"rtmpconf":{ type:"flv", file:"mp4:2011_03659_480x360.mp4", baseUrl:wgScriptPath + "/extensions/player/", streamServer:'texasarchive-flash.streamguys.com:80/vod', width:"480", height:"360", config:{ showBrowserControls:false }, poster:"/library/index.php?action=ajax%26rs=importImage%26rsargs[]=2011 03659 tn.jpg%26rsargs[]=480", controls:{ _timerStyle:"sides" } }
Map
Loading Google Maps...
 
TAMI Tags
  •  U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate for his work in establishing the United Nations 
  •  Mexican Ambassador to the United States Francisco Castillo Nájera 
  •  U.S. Ambassador to Mexico George S. Messersmith 
  •  U.S. Commissioner of IBWC Lawrence M. Lawson 
  •  Mexico Commissioner of IBWC Rafael Fernández MacGregor 
 
Mark Video Segment:
begin
end
play
See someone or something you recognize? TAMI Tagging
Click begin and end to mark the segment you wish
to tag. Then enter your comment and click on Tag!
To: tamitags@texasarchive.org
 
Share this video
X

Send E-mail

Embed

[Hide]Right click this link, select 'open in new tab', and add to bookmarks:
In partnership with:
  • About the video
  • IBWC IBWC
  • Texas Locations
  • Keywords
This film captures scenes of the Treaty for the Utilization of Waters of the Colorado and Tijuana Rivers and of the Rio Grande being signed by officials on February 3, 1944 in Washington D.C. Secretary of State Cordell Hull, Mexican Ambassador to the United States Francisco Castillo Nájera, U.S. Ambassador to Mexico George S. Messersmith, and International Water and Boundary Commissioners Lawrence M. Lawson of the U.S. and Rafael Fernández MacGregor of Mexico each sign the treaty before it is officially sealed. The treaty, known as the Water Treaty of 1944, established water entitlements for Mexico and the U.S. and gave IBWC authority to implement and enforce the allocation of the shared water resources between the two countries. The treaty also dictates that IBWC investigate and report to both governments the need and opportunity for hydroelectric plants, international storage dams, and other flood control works on boundary rivers.
The International Boundary and Water Commission (IBWC) has its roots in the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsen Treaty of 1853, both of which established (and re-established) the U.S.-Mexico border, and also established commissions to survey and map the new U.S.-Mexico border, designating landmarks to mark the border. As the rivers that created the borders changed their courses naturally, land changed jurisdiction, and the International Boundary Commission (IBC), the IBWC's predecessor, was established in 1889 to apply rules that resulted from the Rio Grande and Colorado Rivers' roles as the boundaries between the two countries. In 1906, the two countries signed their first water distribution treaty, the Convention of March 1, 1906, which designated portions of the rivers to each country. In 1933, the two countries began joint river projects to stabilize the Rio Grande, and in 1944, the countries formed the IBWC to enforce allocations of the river and began work on dams that would be operated and maintained by both countries. The IBWC has been integral in resolving boundary disputes for the two countries over the following decades and in constructing dams and reservoirs that stabilize the boundary rivers, keeping them on course to maintain consistent borders and benefits for the U.S. and Mexico.