The Texas White House
Purchased from a family member in 1951 while Lyndon B. Johnson served in the U.S. Senate, “the ranch,” located in Gillespie County in the Texas Hill Country was the Johnsons’ family home. The LBJ Ranch made its debut to the American public during Johnson’s vice presidency (1961 - 1963) when it was used to host state visits of foreign dignitaries, high-ranking Washington politicians, and campaign functions. As President (1963 – 1969), Johnson conducted official business at the ranch, including state visits and lawn chair staff meetings, earning it the name, the Texas White House. On December 2, 1969, the ranch, along with Johnson City and Johnson's birthplace, was authorized as Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Site, and became a United States National Historic Park on December 28, 1980. Both President and Lady Bird Johnson are buried in the family cemetery within the National Historic Park.
|The Rancher (2012)|
Short film made by Kelly Sears as part of TAMI’s Mess With Texas program
|The President - May 1968|
This film, produced by The White House Naval Photographic Unit, presents the activities of President John...
|The President - August 1968|
This film, produced by the White House Naval Photographic Unit, presents the activities of President John...
|LBJ Ranch and Church|
Footage shot for an Austin-based network news affiliate follows LBJ during a visit to central Texas